View Single Post
Old 07-07-2013, 11:21 PM   #8
66 C10 383

Re: My First Classic Truck Build

Sometimes, progress just can't be seen but I guess any progress is better than none. Sharper defined plans, acquiring parts ....

The oil pan pictured in the pics above will be disappearing to be replaced with a stock style Moroso pan/pickup for header clearance.

Thanks go to markeb01 for inspiring me to reinstall my Pete Jackson gear drive. It's unusual to hear a gear drive in a fuel injected motor but I've spent a lot of time in the past on ThirdGen.org which deals with this style TPI injected motors and some of the guys there even run them. According to them, the gear drives do not affect the knock sensor because of the different frequency the engine hears as knock vs. the frequency the gear drives put out. These guys tune their own motors and can tell what affects the timing and what don't. They know more than I'll ever know there ... besides, I've run one in different cars both carbed and this same fuel injection unit I've had for literally years with no ill effects.

My buddy and I pulled the head off my motor to freshen up and put on his truck. We noticed his had a miss to the engine and a bit of oil in the cylinder revealed his had valve problems. While we were at it we got mine as close to ready to pull out as we could without actually pulling it out. But, it's ready.

I sold some stocks I had saved up and started acquiring some parts. American Autowire harness, Captainfab's power steering and brake booster adapters (VERY nice parts !!!), Early Classic Ent. 2.5" drop spindles and 1.5" drop front springs, Hedman Hedders 69010 uncoated mid-length headers, and 4 brand new shiny wheels.

I had a tough time figuring out which wheels to use. 17" or 18" and use my C5 Corvette front/LS1 Camaro Rear disc brakes ... stay with 15's and run stock style disc/drums on 5 lugs ... steel wheels ... aluminum wheels ... American (Chinese) wheels or made in the good ol' USA ... I finally made my decision ...

Pic courtesy of Summit Racing ...)

Eagle Alloys 15 x 8 with a 3.96 backspace. Made in USA too. I'm going for a kinda sporty late 70's - mid 80's type build and I think they'll go along rather nicely.

Still trying to decide on whether to run 255/60's all around so I can rotate or run a 275/60 245/60 combo for a slight big/little rake ...

Next order will be my brake booster/master and some Moser 5 lug rear axles along with several smaller items to finish getting my motor/tranny buttoned up and get it ready to drop in. After that, it'll be ball joints and a-arm bushings to get my suspension buttoned up and some rotors so I can get it all back on the ground with my new wheels ...

So, a basement full of parts with more on the way in a few days along with a more clear direction I'm heading on my build equals ... progress, just nothing you can see ...

Slowly getting there, hopefully by summers end I can get it to move under it's own power.

Last edited by 66 C10 383; 09-11-2013 at 01:35 PM.
66 C10 383 is offline   Reply With Quote