View Single Post
Old 10-09-2014, 07:24 PM   #21
66 C10 383

Re: My First Classic Truck Build

Thanks for the added motivation guys, I'm looking forward to working on it again. Right now I'm about 45 miles from my truck so working on it is challenging at best. That will be changing soon, but with winter moving in I'm not sure if I'll be able to get it in out of the weather to work on it much.

cru_zn_29 - Send me some pics and some details on them.

markeb01 - Both you and your truck has been a major inspiration. You've done a wonderful job on your truck and the advice/technical info you pass along is so valuable to others. I had a PJ gear drive in a 69 Camaro which I installed back in the mid 80's. I bought it new back before there was even a "noisy" or "quiet" version. My nephew acquired the car from me and it still has the same gear drive in it to this day. Valve covers haven't been off it since. I then put one on my Cutlass (the one in the pic above) while I had the TPI in it with no problem. Everyone said it'd mess with the knock sensor. Another myth broken, the sensor never picked up the frequency of it and I had it checked on various scanners to check on it. I bought the pictured PJ gear drive from a guy years ago and can't for the life of me remember if it's a noisy or quiet version. Quiet is a misnomer as it can still be heard, it's just not overbearingly loud. Just loud enough to hear it.

Mark, it was the videos of your truck that made me decide to put my gear drive back in this motor. My initial thoughts were to just go back with a timing chain but after hearing yours I realized that not running it would have been a mistake on my part! I thank you Mark !!!

Old Build Thread - 383/T56
http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=540838

Updated Build Thread - Modern Relic - 66 C10 536 Dark Aqua
5.3/4L60E - BTR Stage IV Truck Cam - Vintage Air - Dakota Digital
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=778784
66 C10 383 is offline   Reply With Quote