View Single Post
Old 01-13-2023, 11:19 PM   #8
VictoriaHardware

Re: 60-66 Suburban Challenges

I have owned numerous 60-66 Suburbans- both 2WD & 4WD, both barn door and tailgate.

Personally I love the barn doors and hate the tailgate. Barn doors are shared with Panel trucks so parts are easier to find. They are light and easy to open and close. Entry/exit into the back is much easier than the tailgate. Some people hate the barn doors because the doors block your sight in the rear view mirror. It's a little annoying but I can deal with it.

Some love the tailgate for sitting on and there is no blocked rear view with the single wide window. Lift/tailgate components are unique the the 60-66 Suburbans. Tough to find parts and expensive because there is so many pieces to it. Most burbs for sale have broken or missing hardware. The lift gate is heavy and for a short person it is difficult to open and close, especially on a 4WD. Worse if it has big wheels or tires. The tailgate is heavy too.

Lastly, you can convert one into the other if you gather all of the pieces. Search the threads here.

There is about a 50/50 split of barn door vs tailgate Suburbans built. It seems people are split 50/50 on which one they love/hate also, so everyone's happy. The point is that which back doors a truck has can make or break your buying decision.
Attached Images

VictoriaHardware is offline   Reply With Quote