View Single Post
Old 09-11-2023, 09:42 PM   #61
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: HG's Plow Truck, '78 GMC K35 Dually

Been over a year since the last post? Well last year went okay. We had a lot more snow. It drifted up by the grove so bad at one point that even this truck didn't have the power and weight to push the pile into the ditch. I almost didn't get through at all. I was pushing a pile as high as the hood of the truck with nowhere to push to but straight ahead, making the pile even bigger. It was crazy. The township plows left us stranded for 3 days, so I plowed from my driveway all the way to town, 3/4 of a mile. There were places I barely got through. The wind was blowing it back in right away even after the storm was done so I had to do it two days in a row. I almost got the plow stuck, on the road, not in the ditch. At the end of my driveway it was so much that the big road grader the township uses couldn't get it widened out so they had to get one of the big trucks to do it. Spring was a disaster, where the snow was piled up along the driveway the melt water was too far from the ditch area to drain off so the gravel driveway was a mudpit. It was a foot deep and we couldn't leave the yard without 4wd engaged for a few weeks. I had to pay for a load of rock to be dumped on it. Even the county and township was having to do that for gravel roads in the area. Just a sloppy mess.

Nothing broke on the plow truck though. There were several times I thought something was going to bend, brake, blow up, etc. I worked it HARD. By far the worst winter for spring cleanup since I moved out here. Anyway, the truck did as well as could be expected under the conditions. The only real way to improve it would be having a V plow. Those are really expensive and most people that have them clear snow as a business. Too much for the regular guy just handling his own driveway, but if I found a bargain I'd jump on it.

But the only things I'm doing for sure are adding an aux battery, replacing the wiper motor (it's kinda crap) and maybe install a dual exhaust. It's got the 2 into 1 small pipe on it and the muffler blew apart when the tailpipe got plugged with snow lol. I have my exhaust from my 72 blazer that I think I can use most of. I'll have to get the front pieces to connect to the manifolds since it's a header set up and get some extensions because of the longer wheelbase but I should be able to make it work.

Tonight I got the new aux battery tray installed.
Attached Images

hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote