Thread: 47-55.1 The Old Bench Seat
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2024, 01:55 PM   #20
e015475

Re: The Old Bench Seat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
nice job e.
I have thhought about a wire frame of 1/4 or 3/8 round bar supported by short springs to the frame around the perimeter, then wide webbing strung across in a cross pattern before any fabric and foam is laid on top. like an old bed frame from the 50's or 60's. it would have a lot more give in it that a hard surface but would also possibly stretch or pack out easier with a load over time.
At one time I built custom furniture, and we used "no-sag' springs in our upholstered furniture unless a customer was willing to pay for an 8-way hand tie of individual wound springs.

https://lphomefurniture.com/seating-...p-seat-springs

If you were going to do a perimeter frame, I'd recommend that you use the no-sag springs instead of webbing - they are much more reliable/long lasting. We typically put about a 1" think cover of a fairly dense foam over the no-sags and the cushions consisted of a harder foam core wrapped with a softer foam. (feathers and/or memory foam was an upgrade/option)

Just my opinion, but a stack of foam with progressive density/stiffness on a plywood base works well without all the fussyness of springs or webbing. On my truck, I tried several different combinations of thickness and density for both the seat and the back to get to a combination I liked.
e015475 is offline   Reply With Quote