View Single Post
Old 04-19-2016, 03:42 PM   #43
TurboLS

Re: American in Austria 83 Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44boggers View Post
Thanks Turbo, bring on the criticism, only way to learn. But looking at my safety wire job i cant see how they could come loose. If one bolt was to loose it would essentially try to tighten the other. Because they wire is made in an S shape. I swear I did it just like the instructions said plus watching 100 videos on it. But looking at it I cant see how if one was to loosen it would also loosen the other bolt, they would be pulling in the opposite directions.

I mean I believe you know exactly what you are talking about since you do this for a living, but I can't see how my wire job is incorrect. Please enlighten me Turbo.

Thanks

Paul
So look at it this way, the theory behind safety wire is to prevent the hardware from ever coming loose in the 1st place. And you are correct, if 1 did start to back out the other would hold it tight, when done correctly.

With that said, look at your safety at the 1o'clock position. The top bolt is safetied backwards. Its being pulled loose. Same for the Safety at the 3o'clock. Your best one is at 7o'clock, except its loose. Try putting less turns in the wire and when pulling it through the 2nd bolt have a nice tight safety. I cant see the 6o'clock one, half is cut off. It looks like its good. The ones at 9o'clock and 12o'clock are better, but they are each "neutral" safeties. Meaning 1 bolt is not being pulled in either direction. The wire is coming off the bottom straight.

Im not sure which kind of 12 point bolts those are, do they have multiple holes or just the 1 drilled straight through? If its just 1 hole that does make it more difficult to safety.

More than likely, you will never have a problem. Im just a picky SOB when it come to this stuff.
2012 Harley Davidson Fatbob Custom

My build Thread - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=703077
TurboLS is offline   Reply With Quote