View Single Post
Old 02-21-2015, 02:53 AM   #15
WhiteWhale

Re: 1972 K20 Endangered species rescue thread

Nothing spectacular to report. Replaced the u joint in the front driveshaft, replaced the ball joints, tie rod ends, axle u joints and small needle bearings.

Still cant get the trans to stop leaking though, put in a new cast pan with the reusable blue gasket which helped but found the smog pressure switch was bad and leaking a TON out of the middle of the switch itself. Replaced it with a brass plug which still leaked then switched to a tapered plug which still drips a bit.

The moan from the HO52 is getting pretty loud so debating if I should bite the bullet and pay the $500 for bearings and seals (and still risk the howl due to worn r&p) or just throw in a 14 bolt.

Plan on picking up a Detroit Locker from Summit and some 2.5 in front springs from TC. Will have to make up my mind about the rear end before I put the lift so I can get the correct length driveshaft. Also still debating on the ORD shackle flip vs. spring/zero rate rear lift since I plan on towing a 25 foot trailer in the future and haven't really heard any good things about a flip and towing.

Still trying to figure out a "marble like rattle" sound coming from the front right wheel under hard braking when turning left. It started after I changed the ball joints on that side and after pulling it apart a few times to inspect I cannot see what would be making the noise. Hopefully not a hub or spindle issue.

I will say the best thing Ive done was connect the vacuum advance can directly to manifold vacuum instead of the timed smog port on the carb, no more flat spot when mashing the throttle!! Only bad part is mpg is down now since it feels SOOOOO good when the secondary's kick in.

Hopefully going to see some dirt in Big Bear or Los Padres soon and get some action pics and try out the new GoPro.

If anyone has any suggestions on any of the issues Im facing please chime in.

T
WhiteWhale is offline   Reply With Quote