View Single Post
Old 04-29-2021, 07:46 AM   #24
A1971Blazer

Re: Questions for the welding pros

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP&C View Post
Greg, we need to talk.... Get rid of the crutch, it's a heat sink..

1/4" isn't too awful big, and if you have a center cutting end mill should be able to use it and clean out the paint inside the plug weld holes (slow speed in cordless drill??). I use a Letter A drill bit for most of my plug welds, a bit higher heat, and faster wire feed. Fills quicker, gets done quicker. Hotter weld setting will give you a flatter plug weld for less cleanup. And NO copper backing. You are adding a heat sink that is going to move you back towards a cold weld. The only time a copper backing should be used is when you have thinned metal (rust), pinholes to fill, or an ill-placed gap to fill.

Here's a tutorial on the plug weld bit for cleaning holes. This uses a narrow flat so less likely to remove metal than your end mill. We just want to clean paint out of the hole to improve weld quality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1jXNfJj2ac

Thanks!
I plan on practicing on some scrap before pulling the trigger on the real thing.
Appreciate the tips...I'll post on the outcome...
I'm waiting for a tailgate so I can pre assemble the whole mess before I weld anything....should be here today.

To the OP: sorry to hijack...I'll start a new thread when I get going...
1972 Chevrolet K/5 Blazer
A1971Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote