View Single Post
Old 02-20-2021, 11:42 AM   #1
Ziegelsteinfaust

Unhappy Light weight vs heavy weight axles.

As I build my Willys I am looking into doing a break upgrade on my D44 TTB. While not entirely needed I feel it would be nice. It needs parts. Why not upgrade while at it.

I have the choice of better calipers or a 8 lug front swap. Which has bigger rotors, and calipers. Which would also require a 8 lug rear axle.

My Wagon should weigh 4200 pounds estimated with me + my son in it, some gear, and a full tank of gas. Or enough for a day of trail riding to explore ghost towns. Factory Willys Wagon weight 3200 pounds. I am on a modified F150 TTb 4x4 frame.

So well within the confines of a brand F 8.8 rear end. Especially if built up. If I am not doing any rock crawling. Just desert exploring.

My Willys stands about 6'2" tall right now, and will finish off about 6'3" to 6'4" if I don't add a roof rack. Which can add to top heaviness on a short wheelbase truck when loaded.

I plan to add heavier steel rims to get some weight lower, and set the drive train as low as possible to help too. Rather then tucking it up higher into the body/frame envelope if you will.

So is adding an extra 300 pounds of axles getting to overkill status or will it provide a feeling of safety. Since it's extra weight will be lower which would counter act my top heaviness?

Or just stick with the 8.8 as it's strong enough for what I will do anyways.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote