View Single Post
Old 07-25-2019, 11:47 AM   #18
ManNamedJed

Re: 1971 4x4 Suburban Project - the 'Family Adventure Wagon'

Installed the 8 lug Dana 44 with 4:10 gears. The new brake calipers needed a different brake line bolt than what was on there, so I had to leave the old rusty ones.

Special thanks to my friend Denis for helping me weld my spring and shock mounts on the rear!! By 'helping' I mean he did it for me. Much better looking welds than I would have managed.

The rear parking brake isn't hooked up because I need longer cables. If anyone has any tips on where to get them, please let me know. From what I've read, you really need them hooked up and adjusted right for the brakes to work properly. Right now they are squishy and weird, but there could be other factors.

But.... I'm stoked with the new stance, love the wheels. The pics makes it look taller in the front, but that's just my driveway. I think its a nice balance between an aggressive look without being all huge. The new gearing really peps it up. Haven't tried it on the highway yet though due to the brake issue.

FYI - the measurements from hub to fender lip were all 22-23" before the lift. Afterward they are all 25-26", It will likely settle a bit. So the Tuff Country 2.5" lift does deliver the advertised lift. Ride is firm, but not harsh, just as I wanted.

Ordered a new master cylinder and prop valve from Pirate Jack which will hopefully get the brakes working properly after the rear disc conversion. They were super nice and helpful BTW.
ManNamedJed is offline   Reply With Quote