View Single Post
Old 04-17-2022, 06:00 AM   #5634
Grizz1963

Re: Grizz's Redneck Express 1966 Chevy Short Fleetside RESTO-GO!

Almost 10.30 on Easter Sunday, and I am not expecting to be in the garage before 11.00

Slow start, Bunny shaped crumpets and coffee, and Sally just left to go work in her garden, cook Uncle Bobs dinners for the next three days.

So I will do a quick write up of yesterday’s work with @nickwheeler.

I went shopping early on to see if I could find a fuel filler cap, or radiator cap to fit the neck of the fuel tank.

No luck.

BUT…….. petrolcaps.co.uk is the address Nick had supplied, and is a bona fide supplier of you will never guess……. Yup, petrol cpas.

@mercdan68malready dropped off a filler cap earlier this morning that is not a fit, but a good place to start making a new neck for, before wafting off in his W202 Mercedes Benz, sunroof and windows open, Meatloaf’s Bat Outta Hell drifting down the road.

What a way to use a real 20-something year old car.

Back to yesterday.

Nick proceeded to plan where to attach the high pressure fuel filter, changing his mind three times.

The tank was also fitted and removed three times, including removing the fuel pump unit to establish the feed and return, as I could not remember which way they went.

Making a clamshell bracket took longer than a few minutes, as did attaching it, and some other brackets for the various fuel lines and pipes.

There you see well over 10 minutes of work.

Result

And second fitment of three.

Yes, of course I helped. (Someone had to jack it up, fit axle stands and make coffee)

In the mean time, I carried on with other jobs, including the dash testing, some more dash reshaping in order to fit the steering column shroud once covered in vinyl.

In and out about 6 times for fine tuning.

Also now fits with all the studs glued in place and holes drilled.

Another job that took an easy hour was again, fitting and fine tuning the switches that have been retained or added from the MX5 donor.

Fog lights, cluster lighting, hazard light switch, heater/blower switch and of course the twin USB charger points.

This little cover for the Hazard switch took forever to work till it was round enough, with flattened fixing tabs at the back, made from one bit of flat Dexian shelving.

Trust me, once covered in scrim foam and vinyl it should look a bit better.

While the body was up in the air, we also started to cut and trim the rear box @kevins donated, and the straight length ordered this week.

I had to be shut and showering by 6.00pm for a chest CT scan hospital appointment at 7.30

Yes, they work on a weekend too.

Amazing team I was dealt by.

A bit of fiddling, a bit of luck should see the pipe miss all the obstructions, both fixed and moving.

I tried one more little job just as we closed shop.

I hope @nickwheeler has stopped laughing, because he was still laughing when he drove off toward the sunset and home.

Suffice it to say, one of my plans had completely backfired, and the joy he got from it was amazing.

I am sure he will be along to,explain…….

Mate Fil did a quick Photoshop of a pic I had sent him when we were chatting about how far we had made it.

Well, it is 10.51 now, 30 minutes later.

Need to get out and spend some time moving more small jobs along.

Later gang.
Grizz1963 is offline   Reply With Quote