View Single Post
Old 02-08-2011, 02:57 PM   #1
blazerboy_4life
70Custom10

Project Budget Build

Ok ive been a member for a year now and I think its about time I start my build Thread. I originally found this truck... actually pair of trucks on Craigslist on the other side of the state. I had a 71' Long Fleet about 10 years ago that sadly ended up crushed when I left it in the care of a friend of mine when I moved out of state. Ive always wanted a Short Fleet though.

Now fast forward to this past April. I was bored scavenging craigslist for a good deal on an old farm truck (those are cheapest), when I came across an ad for a 70' Short Box C10 WITH a parts truck for $700 Hell Ya! Done! So I called the guy up and got everything set up. Next issue I had to tackle was how to get both trucks 350 miles back home. A month back I had just sold my Lifted 85' K5 so I had nothing to tow them with and I dont currently own a car trailer let alone a car trailer that will haul my TWO Short Box Pickups. So I put an ad on craigslist and an hour later I got a response from a towing company willing to do the hauling for about $300. Sounds like a sweet deal right!?... On paper Yes. Well I found the trucks in april, Dealt with the shipping company for almost THREE MONTHS! Mid july comes around and the guy I bought them from is getting ancy about when Im going to pick them up (already paid for them back in april). I explained the situation and He says hell call me back.

I get the call and he says hes coming to where I live for business anyway and hes got a friend with a cummins and a 36' trailer that he can borrow and he'll be here tomorrow. I told him id do the $300 the shipping company would have charged if he delivers to me.

Long Story... Long I now have my dream truck and for a pretty good price. Even better now is I ended up parting out the parts truck and made over $1000 so the parts truck paid for everything. Thats kindof where the title came from.
Im Married, with a toddler (and we just found out last monday 1/31/11 weve got one on the way), a cheap ass, stingy, and resourceful. As it sits right now Im probably not even $400 into it out of my own pocket and that includes a new cab I just picked up the other day With a title for $50, and the complete 350 bored .040 over that i snagged for $125, headers Patriot shortys off ebay less than $100

Its gonna be a slow build until summer comes. I have no garage and no previous experience restoring,welding, or otherwise. Im just good at takin stuff apart and making it a little better. I look forward to all of your advise along the way and please feel free to offer any personal experience and suggestions if you think im doing something wrong or it could be made better.

As always Thanks in advance guys and I hope you enjoy my build.

This pic below Is the day I brought her home July 17th 2010. I met the guy at a truck stop nearby so we had room to unload the trucks then I towed them home. The truck is lifted up high because I was changing the front driver tire. He delivered it with 2 flats...
Attached Images

blazerboy_4life is offline   Reply With Quote