Thread: 47-55.1 Crew cab build
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2019, 12:48 PM   #22
whitedog76

Re: Crew cab build

An Envoy/Trailblazer chassis isn't all that bad of an idea. There's been quite a few vintage trucks put on the Envoy/TB frames. The front track width is a little on the wide side for AD trucks, but some narrow tires or custom rims will help that out. The front and rear sections of the frame actually slide together so lengthening shouldn't be a real issue. Since there's plenty Tb's and Envoys in the salvage yard, you can probably get the center section of a frame for adding material. I know the folks with the XL version complained about frame flex and handling issues. Adding cross braces seemed to solve the problem. One thing to keep in mind is that there was a difference in the V8 and I6 frames. So, if you have a donor with an I6, it may be and issue trying to swap a V8 into it.

Another thing to think about is maybe trying to find a 3600 or 3800 AD chassis. The 3600 is 125.5 wheel base and the 3800 is 137. For one thing, all the front sheet metal will fit where it's suppose to. Secondly, they are both plenty strong. The frame rails are fairly flat, so lengthening and shortening is fairly simple.

Just some thoughts.
whitedog76 is offline   Reply With Quote