View Single Post
Old 03-20-2011, 10:50 AM   #6
SCOTI

Re: First Time Bagger.... trying to cup LCA's

See comments in RED below....

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazed870 View Post
OK small update, sorry no pics yet.

Took my bed off today to make it easier to get to everything. Pulled the old cut springs, hats and shocks off the rear. Mocked up the Airlift Dom 2500's in the back. Looks like I will need some 4" long bolts to run through the trailing arms into the bottom hole on the bags. Now for some questions
Corrrect. Longer 3/8" bolts will be needed. Use a good thick washer as well. I like using a piece of .250" 2" sq steel strap cut down.

1. Everyone mounts the bags with the air port and two mounting holes on the frame right? Just seems like the right thing to do as you wouldn't want the airline moving with the trailing arms. My problem is that I have a C pipe notch with it boxed in, so it is going to make it a little difficult to bolt everything in on the top. Was reading through the posts and saw a cool trick of using studs on the upper mount holes. Probably going to do that.
The studs are a great idea. Be sure & coat the threads w/some Lock-Tite for insurance.

2. Should I think about purchasing the bolt in C-notch and cut out the pipe C-notch and boxing on the frame?
The bolt-in C-notches help increase the frames vertical thickness where it will be @ it's weakest (directly above the notched area). Since you already have a home-made set-up, I would leave it as is & maybe add additional material. It would also help if it over-lapped (make the outside re-inforcement plate wrap around the bottom & the inner re-inforcement wrap around the top of the frame rail.... something like that).

3. I was thinking about mounting the 2.5 gallon air tank and compressor on the outside of the frame rail, under the cab, in line of each other. Anyone have any objections or better setups than this? I don't want to mount them in the back because I am eventually going to have a rearmount gas tank.
Sounds good, just make sure anywhere you drill for mounting holes doesn't interfere w/wiring or other support lines.

4. I am thinking I need the super-track bar and some shock relocators(damn I wish I planned this better). Hoping to save a little dough and get some shocks from some the threads that reference OEM shocks versus buying them in the kit.
Definitely re-work your Panhard bar or get an aftermarket adj long bar. Porterbuilts is a nice piece; No Limit & CPP also have them. Modify your stock shock brackets or purchase the relocation bracket kit (check the same places for these too) & use replacement shocks. Check out Lakeroadsters threads for a good rear upper shock mount you can do yourself @ home. Combine it w/modifying your lower bracket & you're good to go for cheap.

5. Thinking that now would be the time to put in some drop blocks since I have easy access to it. Was thinking about going with a 1" or 1.5" drop block since I am running 15" rallys. Do the blocks and u-bolts that jegs sells work or are they just for leaf-spring setups? If not, where is a good(cheap) place to get these?
CPP has 1.5" alum drop blocks & the required longer u-bolts. No Limit might offer them too...
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote