View Single Post
Old 07-23-2012, 03:12 AM   #2
nitrosport_5

Re: 1972 K20 "Diamond in the Rough"

So the first thing when i got it home, i adressed some of the wiring nightmare that was under the dash. there was an old school clifford intelliguard 600 alarm system that was installed.. and installed very very crudely. It was ziptied in place, the harness hanging part way down and wires running everywhere. I think the entire harness for the alarm was composed of 100s of 6" pieces of wire, crimp connectors, and a few wire nuts here and there....To make things even better, the place that installed the alarm taped their business card to the back so it had the guys name that did it.. This kind of work i would not be proud of. I want to find the place that did the wiring and take it all back to them .

After i got the alarm removed i changed my focus to the stereo. to begin with the power wire to a 200w amp for the speakers. The power wire was 12 gauge wire, but from the amp to the battery there were 10 different pieces of wire. including an inline fuse halfway in line to the amp, and then another glass inline fues holder right off the battery..i feel sad to say the gauge of wire that the last fuse holder used. it was about 18gauge wire... probably closer to 20. ugh.

the dash has had the hole cut out for an aftermarket radio unfortunately. again the radio was wired in about the same as the rest of it. so for now i took all of the wiring out of the truck that didnt belong there originally. including the non working tach, lights for the extra temp/oil gauges that were hooked up to god knows what.

Next i removed a battery switch from under the hood. Im guessing at one time there was dual batteries. there is a spot for 2 batteries. The switch was a perko marine switch. Once i got it off, the wires that were used on it were the same ones that were used to wire in the amp, about 14 guage wire. the back of the switch was melted and chared... im sure it was on fire or close to it at one point.

Most of you may think i am crazy for going to this much trouble just to remove the cab and replace it. but i just couldnt stand it for the time being. Here is a picture of all of the wire i removed....i think with all that copper i may have made back half of what i paid for the truck!
Attached Images

nitrosport_5 is offline   Reply With Quote