Thread: 47-59 1959 Carpet Install
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2021, 07:32 PM   #15
my56chevytruck

Re: 1959 Carpet Install

Quote:
Originally Posted by RostaRob View Post
Thanks for the reply Black Sheep. Nobody else responded so I went ahead and tackled it on my own, never having done a few things before in the process. I used a soldering iron to burn holes where the brake pedal went through and also where the emergency brake rod passed through. I disconnected the e-brake (just a couple of clevis bolts/pins), pulled the steering column (just a couple of bolts and electrical pigtail). After I cut the round hole for the steering column I made a small horizontal incision from the brake pedal hole over to the black cover plate. Just wide enough to slip the carpet over the brake pedal and down the shaft. I did try to remove the brake pedal but the splines on the shaft were on there pretty good and I could get it off. It's do-able but I just didn't want to run the risk of messing up the splines on the yoke or shaft. You can kind of see a little bit of ruffled carpet (about an inch) to the left of the brake pedal shaft. All said and done it didn't come out to bad. Thanks again for your reply and picture. Rob
you did a nice job
my56chevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote