View Single Post
Old 10-28-2017, 10:59 PM   #8
In The Ten Ring

Re: Where do I even start?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatguywithaneye View Post
That’s awesome man! I appreciate all the feedback. I will definitely start with those things. I’m looking to do the full restoration and I have a guy who can do the bodywork and the paint. I just gotta get it up to par mechanically! Thank you for all your help.

What’s your trucks story?
My truck's story will blow you away....actually three men were killed in my truck, by police and SWAT during the bank heist it was involved in.

OK I have seen "Heat" one time too many. Seriously though, a high speed chase and police had a role in me coming to own my truck.

When I was about 10 years old my father sat down next to me holding a Walther P38 pistol. He said "your brother gave your mother and I a lot of trouble with drinking, smoking, and probably even some drugs. I tried the rough way with him but beating him half to death didn't make him stop so with you I will try something different. If you can make it to 21 years without ever drinking, smoking, dipping snuff, chewing tobacco, or trying drugs of any kind including pot, you can have your choice of this pistol or my 1972 Chevy truck...if your brother doesn't want it. I still feel a need to give him the chance to get the truck." (My brother moved out when he was 17).

See the first car my bro ever had was a 1969 Ford Torino GT 4 speed he bought off a used lot with the money he had saved delivering papers. He was 16 at the time. Dad and my uncle put a 351 Cleveland engine into that car. Well my bro started drinking (he was a functional alcoholic for decades) around age 12 and he was drunk driving coming home from work in that car when local PD tried to pull him over. He said "I shifted down to 2nd gear and those blue lights just faded away."

Problem was county deputies had set up a road block and an officer was standing in the one open lane. At 120 mph my brother wasn't stopping, he said "I figured the cop would move and he did." The cop had to leap for his life as my brother would have run him down. He so screwed up their road block it took some time to catch up with him and he had hidden the car by then. He figured "they don't know who it was" but they did know the car....the next day he tried to sneak back home but "cops came out of the woodwork" and pulled him over. He was a rough guy, carried a billyclub, shank, brass knuckles (and used all these fairly often) and they lined up the felonies on his hood. He ended up threatening one of the cops and resisting when one of the locals slapped him.

Fortunately for him (attempted murder of a police office is a serious charge) they "gave him a good workout" as that department was known to do back in those days (and my brother deserved a good workout, he could have killed someone running from the cops like that). They so bruised him up mom got a great lawyer who "got those 6 felony charges reduced to a speeding ticket" and that was that. He paid the speeding ticket and the first officer to chase him invited him into his living room and asked "just what the hell do you have under that hood? My Dodge 440 couldn't touch you!"

So that is how I came to own my truck....dad bought it new off the lot in 1972 and he couldn't control my brother's bad behavior. Also my brother was driving it and it had a bad ground, causing all the lights to come on when you hit the brakes. He demanded dad take the truck back. So I have the truck now.

In case you are wondering, I never had to lie to dad. I have never tried any illegal drugs, not even pot, ever. I didn't taste alcohol until I was 23 and I had a brandy on an Airbus 340 at 37,000 feet over Saudi Arabia. I tried a cigarette for the hell of it when I was 22. I don't smoke and I drink very rarely. Oh and that brandy I had was a big mistake! Back then airlines treated you like you were somebody and that stewardess had the hard stuff. Not having a clue what I was doing and not wanting to look stupid I just blurted out the first drink name that came to mind (from a movie of course). "Give me a brandy!" Geeze.....I guess that's why the airlines gave you orange juice

Last edited by In The Ten Ring; 10-28-2017 at 11:07 PM.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote