View Single Post
Old 10-24-2013, 11:07 PM   #6
Maximus

Re: Maximus's 1972 K5 Blazer 4X4 Build Thread

After another $350 in parts I finally started opening up some of my boxes.
Most of what I have bought are missing small components like seals and trim pieces.
Finally got my broken exterior door handles replaced, re-keyed the doors, ignition and glove box to all match.
Was able to fight the vent window in and out and replaced the window regulator. (what a treat that vent window is on these trucks!).
My driver door has a damaged upper hinge pocket so I sourced a 67-71 truck door that I am going to use as a donor for the sheet metal and support bracket around the upper hinge, and I am glad I did because my door was missing one of the two nut cages for the arm rests, the donor door came in to save the day.

Then to cap things off since I can roll the window up and down I thought I would throw the door panels together for the first time (I am still very thankfull that the panels were laying in the back of the truck when I bought it) I didnt think I was going to save them because they were pretty sad but thats the good thing about using ABS Plastic, 40 years later and they look brand new after a little cleaning!

After pressure washing the door panels I applied some of the Meguiars Natural Shine Protectant to brighten up the door panels and I was impressed at how they came out. They were faded white and horribly dirt/grime stained. The pressure washer knocked out the muck and the shine eliminated the white faded look and makes them look brilliant and black again. Added some new handles and armrests to dial in the look.

This weekend I am going to build a carport for the blazer to keep out of the rain, and if I have any time remaining I will probably pull the gauge cluster out to get access to the dash pad nuts, and while I am at it probably throw in my new cluster bezel and lens. if all of that goes as planned ill start piecing together my heater controls with the new replacement parts i bought.

More to come... here are some photos of the progress so far, as well as the truck donor door...

Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote