View Single Post
Old 03-10-2019, 11:13 AM   #2877
MARTINSR

Re: What did you do with your truck today, Part 3

My brother the motor master did a tune up on Marge for me. Check this out, I didn't have a feeler gauge to check the point gap and he eye balled it. After he did this he told me that he used to be able to do this no problem but I better go get a feeler gauge set. I ran to the parts store and got back for him to check it and it was perfectly .020! Damn when you have done something as long as he has you can do things like that!

We got it done ("we", I did next to nothing) and Marge is running great again.

The bummer of the day was that my brother saw what I didn't want to thus I hadn't, the rear axle housing for my truck is bent. CRAP, I checked it out and sure enough it's off quite a bit. Sooooo, now I have another step before I can get it into primer.
I learned this long ago, should have been more observant, when those spring pads are welded on you can't apply much heat or when it cools it shrinks one side of the tube. I didn't check it, but I didn't think it was an issue being the welds were pretty lame that were holding the pads on. Didn't look like they got real good penetration so I never even checked. The thing is, they may have torched the old pads off and that would have created a bunch of heat if done wrong. Sooooooo they are warped. I have dealt with it before, years ago on a friends Model A that he had the rear spring shackle mounts welded on by a "pro" and warped the rear BAD. So I will get-ur-done.

Brian

Attached Images

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote