View Single Post
Old 04-07-2018, 03:33 PM   #142
ray_mcavoy

Re: 3 speed overdrive!!, now about getting it in.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Cook View Post
The transmission arrived and it is now installed in the truck.
I also ordered and received all of the correct components that go with it. The kickdown, switch, overdrive cable and expensive relay.

Does anyone have any photos of where the relay and the kickdown switch should be mounted??
I know the switch goes under the gas peddle but a measurement from the bottom of the peddle would be nice. I also know I can mount the relay in any convenient spot, but I would like it to look original to the truck.
We put one of these 3-speed overdrives in Dad's 66 last winter. Dad wanted a relatively stock looking installation but we couldn't find any info in the 60-66 truck assembly manual or any photos of a factory original installation. So we did the best we could based off info I was able to find in the 67-72 truck assembly manual and some 60's Chevy car assembly manuals.

The assembly manual shows the 67-69 trucks had the overdrive relay mounted on the inner part of the driver side front fender, near the top, back near the firewall. Obviously, the inner fender design is considerably different in those years so we just chose a similar location near the rear of the driver side inner fender on Dad's 66. I found a heater blower relay for various 60's/70's GM applications that had a similar look (metal case) and used that in place of a hard to find & expensive NOS overdrive relay.

I think Ford (and possibly others) mounted their kickdown switch under the gas pedal. But all the illustrations I found in the GM assembly manuals showed them mounted to a bracket by the carburetor. In keeping with the "somewhat stock" looking theme, I found a reproduction/replacement switch made for Studebaker applications that looked similar to the GM switch (except for the terminals). I made a home-made bracket (that attaches via the left rear carburetor mounting stud) and positions the switch so the throttle lever on the carburetor depresses the switch plunger at wide open throttle.
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote