View Single Post
Old 03-24-2023, 02:44 PM   #6
Joyridin

Re: Port vs direct injection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accelo View Post
The LS engine family is the way to go.
It's true you can get motor power and efficiency using a LT but the price to get them running is likely more than twice the LS family. I just looked into a LT wiring conversion, for a friend, and just the wiring was over $3K. That's without a tune. He plans on running a stock motor, no tune required. Putting the harness money into internals (cam and heads) on a LS will likely get you more power for less money. The holly grail, more reliable power for less money.

The LT engine can run higher compression, which equates to an efficiency boost.
It does this by not injection the fuel till it's required. (Can't detonate if there isn't and fuel in the chamber)
They are cool if you have the deep pockets required to get them running.
$3k? I assume that was some sort of factory original wiring harness or something? I had mine converted for $600. Sent the original harness from the original vehicle and he sent it back about 2 weeks later. It looks brand new and that was with a new fuse box and fan relay set-up.

Really...they are not that much more money. All the mechanical items (cam, liters, pushrods, headers etc.) are pretty close to the same price especially if you stay under a 2019 model. 2019 and later have a locked computer and that will set you back quite a bit to have it unlocked. By the time you find a 120-150k used LS style engine, have it all rebuilt, then still have to go with a harness etc, you could easily dump in a L86 with a 8 or 10 speed trans with 25k miles and be ahead.
Joyridin is offline   Reply With Quote