View Single Post
Old 05-16-2015, 03:53 PM   #59
dayj1

Update

I've put just over 600 miles on the 4.8 swap so far. Or at least I think I have since my odometer quit working at about 400 miles . Other than that, there have been zero problems and I'm getting about 17 MPG with my 3.08 gears (or at least I was before the odometer stopped)

Today I had a chance to fix a couple of minor annoyances. First, the fresh air side of the PCV hose (in the passenger's valve cover) was just unsightly to me. There were enough unknowns when I built this that I didn't know exactly how I wanted to handle the PCV system. I had initially planned on running an air cleaner with a snorkel, and the present PCV location would have been perfect with a very short hose. Second, is that the same PCV hole in the valve cover doubles as my oil fill. The problem is that there is a sheet metal baffle inside that makes pouring in 6 quarts of oil rather "fun".

So, without further delay, I started with this:

This is a good photo of the valve cover adapter while the cover was off:

It didn't take much to grind the baffle loose:

Then I drilled the end of the valve cover and installed an AN6 90* bulkhead. Note that no baffle is needed because this is the inlet side of the PCV system where air is entering the engine. So, there is no concern about oil being sucked out of this hole:

On the inside, you can see the sealing washer and also that I cross drilled the nut and fitting for a cotter pin so the nut would never back off inside the valve cover:

I used a 3/8 JIC swivel hose end in the PCV hose as it will thread onto the bulkhead:

And, finally, here it is all buttoned back up. The PCV hose now goes unnoticed and the oil filler actually works!

dayj1 is offline   Reply With Quote