View Single Post
Old 11-26-2016, 11:02 AM   #63
rusty76

Re: Rusty76 and his '76

Yeah I loved the 400. It had so much torque and in a short wheelbase truck it would absolutely fry the tires. It only had a two barrel and long tube headers. The kick down linkage was never hooked up and honestly it never needed it. In all honesty I wished I had left the motor in the truck. But I was so eager to do something with my truck. I wanted it not to smoke and actually run right when it rained. I hated driving it when it rained. I never understood why it ran so poor when it rained. Otherwise it ran super smooth. Now the engine sits 30 miles away fully blown apart. Stupid me was just wanting to do something besides pushing it from one side of the yard to the other.

This brings me to some other thoughts. I have seriously considered selling it or using some of the parts to build another truck. I hate seeing it sit under my carport. What's stupid is I've accumulated right many parts over the years. Fenders, trim stuff and a few mechanical things. The truck needs a bunch. It needs a core support, hood, doors and something needs to be done about the bed. The cab support is rotted pretty bad and the rockers and corners have their concerns. My first thoughts most of this stuff is basically bolt on stuff. But then I start looking closer. I never intended on the truck being perfect but I would like for it not to be a total hack.

The suspension and brakes need love. The seat is toast. While I had really hoped to drive this thing for my 40th b-day I know that's pretty unrealistic. I've been searching for possibly another truck. I have never been so frustrated with my self like I have with this truck. I had really wanted to start working on it two years ago but life got in the way. I put it in the back of my mind and became one of those "some day" guy. My some day hasn't happened. I blame myself on that part.

Love the look of the 60-66 trucks. Classic lines and so on. My heart just hasn't totally been into this truck. I have learned to put myself on the back burner like this truck. I am tired of driving a toaster every day. While my daily is great everyday it just isn't fun to drive. More like a snore. Don't get me wrong great gas mileage and the cops don't pay you any mind. I know all this sounds stupid and maybe I should go spend some time with it. Who knows right? Thanks for looking in and the thoughts.
My build thread
Crossmembers CC
rusty76 is offline   Reply With Quote