View Single Post
Old 11-27-2022, 04:36 PM   #8
Mathew21

Re: '87 front suspension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownsquare View Post
I've got an '87 GMC R1500 that's had a tough life. It's an original rust belt truck and the front suspension crossmember has rust holes around the DS spring pocket. I want to eventually lower the truck, but don't dare until I take care of this sketchy situation.

You would think that these would be ultra common considering how many 2wd half tons they made over the years, and how many were discarded when converting to 4wd, yet I can't seem to find a good one anywhere. Nobody seems to make an affordable (as in dirt cheap!) aftermarket that will accommodate the stock suspension arms and I can't afford to do a full aftermarket front-end.

My only other option seems to be patching up my rotten one, but I don't feel good about that either.

Suggestions? Thanks!
I see your location says Wayland as in Wayland, Michigan? If so check out Light truck parts u pull yard in Kalamazoo. I haven't been there in a while but they had quite a few square body trucks the last time I was there. I'm just outside of Detroit I have seen plenty of good crossmembers in the u pulls around me. I bought a loaded crossmember a few years ago from one of them I think they charged me $125.00.