Thread: 55.2-59 Wheel/tire pics
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2023, 10:33 AM   #22
dsraven

Re: Wheel/tire pics

wheels diameter needs to fit over brakes and have offset to keep tires from rubbing on the body. width factors in here too. wheel diameter and tire sidewall height are big factors for ride as a taller sidewall will absorb shock better. if you like the short tire sidewall then get ready for a bumpier ride. it will corner better because there will be less sidewall to flex. I have seen a few tuner cars lately with the cambered wheels and skinny sidewalls. the drivers feels every bump and the whole car looks like it has no shocks or suspension under it. i would think that would get old fast but to each their own. I will use a 235/60r17 tire under mine but then I am old and like a softer ride. my daily driver is a 2015 silverado with 18" wheels. a buddy with the same truck but 22 inch wheels asked if I wanted to trade wheels. I asked why and he said he was tired of the rough ride with the short sidewall tires.
I suggest to get some dimensions and do a drawing of the frame, fenders, axle location etc and see what you can fit under the truck. asking what other builders use may be of no help because they could have diffeent rear axles or whatever so their wheel mounting flange to wheel mounting flange width may be different. front axle centerline may be different, ride height may be different etc. figure out what YOU need with the drawing and go from there. remember the front wheels need to be able to turn at full suspension jounce (suspension fully retracted) and not hit the fenders or frame.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote