View Single Post
Old 11-06-2020, 01:19 PM   #51
STPETEBLUE

Re: 1989 GMC 6000 Pickup/Toy Conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdually View Post
Great looking truck! There's a TON of potential there, I really like it. I talked to Mike when I was beginning to build mine, he clued me in on a few things I'd run into and what height above the frame I would have to mount the bed to get it to line up. He was quite helpful and really knows these trucks inside out.
Mike is a straight shooter. He was a fleet manager for Waste Management for 35 years, so yes, he really knows these trucks. He was in communication with me throughout the build, suggesting various things, along the way. He really kept me in the loop while he was building the truck.
Quote:
The step bumper was tricky, I hunted EVERYWHERE for a long time and could find nobody who had one or makes one for a square body anymore. I was out of town for a week and one popped up for sale on Facebook. My girlfriend's dad drove two hours one way to go get it for me.
I don't mind the roll pan, but I think a step bumper would look even beefier, and I have always liked the style you have. Trouble is, I can't finish out the rear of the truck with a hitch until I get and mount the step bumper. Until then everyone behind me is looking up my ass end.
Did the bumper brackets line up with the frame rails pretty good?
Quote:
The fender clearance lights came from USA1 Industries. They were backordered forever but I did finally get them.
I think that is where I saw them, too. The only set I could find has the chrome around them. I have always liked the simpler looking lenses without the bling, but I need a GMC tailgate band to cover the word "CHEVROLET", and all the trucks that came with the band had the bling light lenses, so . . .
Quote:
My Christmas setup was actually all incandescent lights, I ran them on a 2000 watt quiet Honda generator in the bed, you couldn't even hear it over the truck idling. I could have ran way more lights and this year hopefully I can.
Well, I have that very genny so I guess I have that covered. I just didn't know if if there was something else out there that I should consider. The genny didn't tip over or anything?
Quote:
Looking forward to more pics and a build thread on yours!
I don't really have a build thread, but I did post up a "progression", if you will, on my Facebook page. You can find it HERE.

Thanks for all the questions answered.

Last edited by STPETEBLUE; 11-06-2020 at 02:11 PM.
STPETEBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote