Thread: Welder Question
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2015, 04:32 PM   #9
19SIKtySix

Re: Welder Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgross View Post
Are you sure it's not the metal you were welding? voltage on welder not set properly, speed of wire? Lots of variables.

BTW, All outlets in a garage are required to be on GFCI, at least newer garages are so it wouldn't matter which outlet.
It very well could be the metal, I was testing the welder on an old brake drum...I ground down my weld area and the ground area, but I could have easily left some rust/possible oil on the drum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdav160 View Post
I once owned a SnapOn mig welder. I think it was a YA205 made by Century.

Some days it would weld great, other days terrible.

What was wrong with it was the gas solenoid inside the machine. It would intermittently cut back the gas flow.
The model I have is a YA219, like I said it's been in my family for awhile. My nephew had been using it, but it was outside and I noticed when I got it back that there were remains of wire on the ground, splatter in the nozzle, some wire had rust, etc.

I don't want to blame him, so I'm trying to verify if the welder is still effective or if there are other issues, that a new welder won't solve before buying a new one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
This ^^^

Any grease, oil paint or rust on the metal can make it pop.

Gary
I'm going to try some other metal tonight, I just recently got a small sheet of 18ga, I'll use a piece of that to test. I was trying to find some thicker metal for a good bead. I'm going to look over the brake drum again and make sure both areas are cleaned really well.

Thanks guys for all the feedback, this helps.

Instagram: c_lo_garage

Check out my 1966 C10 project "El Viejito" here:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=674614
19SIKtySix is offline   Reply With Quote