View Single Post
Old 08-24-2020, 04:53 PM   #95
skyphix

Re: 1980 Chevy C10 - Ugly but Functional

Been driving the truck around on the regular. Insanely happy with the swap, and impressed with myself that I got it to this point. I have zero fear jumping in and going pretty much anywhere with it at this point. It still has a few obvious warts;

1) Still need to replace the steering column bushing
2) My PCM and fuse box are just sitting in the passenger footwell right now - need to tuck those up behind the dash. I am going to let them live in my glove box until I do all the body work and will have the entire dash out, then I'll properly mount them up behind the dash.
3) I really need to bite the bullet and buy HPTuners - the tune isn't quite right but its good enough to drive and be reliable.
4) The previous owner didn't install the wheel bearings correctly so they're all making some noise now. I had some weird steering behavior and I chalked it up to worn out bushing and lived with it, but the passenger side spindle nut was LOOSE. Not even finger tight. Like rattling around loose, and the wheel/hub could be moved 1/16". Re-doing the torque sequence on that side made it drive 100% better. I ordered up a new set of rotors and pads, as well as new inner and outer wheel bearings, grease seals, and a nut and pin for the hub. Was going to install them today but its pouring rain/thunder/lightning right now.
5) Its got a little shimmy on the highway - not like parts breaking level, or dangerous, just noticeable. It had it before I did the swap too, so I am thinking its probably axle bearings or something since everything else including the wheels and tires are changed now. I'll still verify driveshaft angles and everything but I am hoping to get limited slip installed and setup, and all new bearings in the rear end this fall or next spring.
6) Heater core cracked, so I have the lines looped right now.

I had an issue with the PSI fan harness kit constantly blowing fuses - its a 30a and only running one fan so it should be more than enough. No shorts or anything. Instead of assembling my connector with the supplied stuff or digging through my wiring pile to find the connectors from the two parts vehicles I've had, I had purchased a new connector. I cheaped out, didn't go with the GM/AC Delco one, and it introduced too much resistance. They were made with 12g wiring, which wasn't enough on initial startup of 200+k mile fan motors. I ordered up the AC Delcos which are a much higher quality and now my cooling fan works great with the properly sized fuse and my relay is no where near as hot. Not even remotely the fault of the PSI Stuff. I also upped the size of the ground connection for that fan to 10g since all I had on hand was 12g when I first installed it. Lesson learned. At some point I'll order up another fan kit and wire in the other fan since its got a dual fan setup, but both my trans and coolant temps stay pretty much perfect, if not a touch cold, so far.

All anyone really cares about in these threads is photos (lol) so here are some.

At one of my customers facilities

Doing the drive-thru test while I pick up dinner for the kiddos.

Sitting in city traffic
skyphix is offline   Reply With Quote