View Single Post
Old 01-22-2022, 11:31 AM   #1
jamesmadconductor

'65 C60 Help Needed: Brakes, wheels, tanks, wiring

Hi all! Picked up a gem of a low mileage (7500) farm truck (C60 dump truck) from Texas last week. Lots of good things about the truck, but with such low mileage, there are issues that need to be addressed. I have searched the forums, but the various results are getting a bit overwhelming to keep organized. I am hoping that some might be willing to help me get this truck to reliable function around my small town.

Details:
-'65 C60 dump, cab tag (pic attached) has 19,500 GVW, C15 2spd Rear axle 6.40-8.72, 157 wheelbase, 5 spd trans (not sure if it's Clark, Spicer, or Eaton, anyone advise how I can identify?)
-crate 366 installed five years ago after original block cracked, but I don't see any frame modifications/welds for the motor mounts, so I'm really wondering what block was original
-Intended for demolition/landfill runs over the next six months, then use as a Main Street touring vehicle for visitors

I need the following help:
-Brakes: would like to upgrade to a dual master. Original drum systems don't bother me, but I am hoping to get all new drums, shoes, hardware, and wheel cylinders replaced. Can someone provide part numbers or guidance on locating the parts? Maybe photos of what you've done for master cylinder upgrades?

-Wheels: tires are in desperate need of replacement but I am far from any fleet services such as ALCOA or Snider, and the smaller shops will not touch split rims. I'd like to get replacement wheels without modification, if possible. 10 hole/5lug on front, 10 lug on rear. I know others have dealt with this, let me know what has worked!

-Fuel tanks: both are dirty, one hasn't been used in a few years. Wanting to get both operational, and clean, with correctly calibrated sending units. Any advice on best way to tackle these? This is my first time dealing with side-mount tanks and any guidance would be very appreciated. For example, would it be best to replace the tanks with new ones? If so, would you recommend specific suppliers?

-Wiring: As with many farm trucks, there has been some "make it work" additions/splices/interesting decisions made. For instance, my dash and cab clearance lights only come on when I press the brake pedal, or sometimes when I engage the turn signal stalk (but still the signals don't work), but the aftermarket hazards work just fine. With this type of stuff, I have often simply located a correct replacement harness and started new. Does anyone have leads for correct harnesses?

I want to use this truck for its intended purpose, and keep it running for a long time coming, as I do with my others. But now that I've entered the medium duty truck world, I could really use the guidance/help of those who have been here before. Thanks in advance for anything you can provide to help me keep this one on the road.
Attached Images

1949 Chevy 3800 Panel Truck
1971 Chevy C20 Cheyenne BB402
1958 Cadillac Series 62
1958 MG-A
1940 LaSalle Series 52 Coupe
1912 Ford Model T
jamesmadconductor is offline   Reply With Quote