View Single Post
Old 02-04-2015, 12:28 PM   #4
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Re: 14 bolt swap questions

There will be no correct shock mounts either.

You can get 14 bolt full floating axles out of HD 3/4 ton trucks and 1 ton trucks. These are some of the best axles the General ever put under a truck. They are all 8 lug and have a huge 10.5" ring gear. The started sometime around 1977 and stopped using them in the mid late 80's. There are semi floating options for this axle as well. Most of those found their way under 3/4 ton suburbans. These 2 forms of the 14 bolt are bomb proof.

There are also smaller versions of the 14 bolt with 9.5" ring gears that are semi floaters that came under late 80's to late 90's half tons and some 3/4 tons. They are a 6 lug and can be forund in most wrecking yards for a decent price.

But just remember, like ERASER5 said. NONE of them will be a direct bolt in for the 67-72 trucks.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote