View Single Post
Old 11-30-2023, 05:26 PM   #1
Hcb3200

Alignment thoughts for a 1956 with stock arms / Tie Rod WITH Power steering

Ok
Read thru a mountain of threads. And found this to be true. Its all over the place both the truck and the threads. LOL

So current setup.
stock arms, axle, tie rod, tie rod ends, spindles, drag link.
Has CPP power steering pump in stock location inside frame rails.

Fat tires compared to stock these are big 265/75/r17 wheels.

Done all the basics when I redid the king pings. All new pins, bushings. made the tie rod ends tight. All greased up.
She steers much smother. starts to return to center now that she is greased. Tracks straight and good on smooth roads.
But as soon as the road is not smooth or need to slow turn left or right lets just say she floats all over.

I have made the steering box as tight as i want to based but it may have a very small adjustment that can be made.

Looks to have the stock shim on axle for caster. (forgot to measure when I had it out for king pin redo)
Plan on taking it to alignment shop to have the actual numbers looked at. But want thoughts before the wrenches start turning.

Thoughts on increasing caster and toe would be appreciated with this setup with power steering. I have read where a increase of caster with power steering helps on the road wander.
But have seen everything from 2.5 to 3, to not over 3 or it worse, to 5 to 7 on all the thread i have read.

Anyone running setup that i have that has measurements.

Fire away>
Hcb3200 is offline   Reply With Quote