View Single Post
Old 05-06-2014, 10:42 PM   #3
Fitz
Account Suspended

Re: new guy needs big block swap advice/tips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven70c10 View Post
Hey guys. Im new to the fourms here and was wondering if i could get some tips and info from some people who have done this before. I have a 1970 c10 long box with a 6cyl. And a 3 speed on the floor. I want to put a big block in it but i am wondering what is going to be involved in it and what am i getting into? Also, i have my eye on a '68 vette 427 rebuilt for 3k but i can get a 454 for almost half that price. Would it be worth dishing out the extra money for a 427 or would the 454 be better? My goal for the truck is to be competative on the weekend drags at the track while still being fairly streetable . Any tips, tricks and advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
You didn't mention how your skills are. if you know what you are doing the 454 would likely be a better choice. Bored .060 over, a new set of heads and a roller cam you'll have a very nice 468 that will smoke a 427 stocker. Stroke that 468 and you get a 496. A very popular build with the 1320 ft. racing set. It's a matter of what you can do and your budget.
Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote