View Single Post
Old 12-08-2023, 04:48 PM   #15
mr48chev

Re: Smoking Ignition Wires….Exciting stuff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57tailgater View Post
I agree the HEI probably doesn't need the resistor. On a points ignition I had one resistor start smoking because I had a short. Fortunately I was sitting and was able to find the short quick which was down by the starter.
That short would have been down stream from the resistor though. Either at the resistor it's self or at the coil.

I'm thinking that his burned wires are partially due to too many cooks who aren't very good cooks adding stuff to his stew.

That red wire was someone's idea that they could pick up switched power there rather than get up under the dash and connect to the ignition switch as they should have. Then they connected it on the wrong side to boot. There is no viable reason to connect another wire to that spot except the coil wire and resistor bypass if needed. With direct 12 Volts from the switch to the HEI he shouldn't need the resistor bypass at all with the stomp pedal on that truck because it is Key on, stomp on the pedal. V8 or changed to an electric solenoid setup and key start and yes you do need the bypass because those switches don't put power to the coil in "start" mode.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote