View Single Post
Old 06-03-2015, 01:40 AM   #5
PLYONS11

Re: 63 3/4ton control arm swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
I honestly don't know about the V6 engine mounts as I have not had any experience with those other than removing them. Yes I have seen/heard that the crossmember can be changed with the engine in place, but it just seems much more difficult that just pulling the engine and having the room you need to do the job correctly. Of course to me, pulling an engine in one of these older trucks is quite simple and can be done in a few hours.

Changing the crossmember does not change the geometry in a lowered stands. What changing the crossmember does, is allow you to use a lower control arm other than a stock '63-'66 C20 lower control arm. Which is what I thought your goal was.

Yes there are dropped spindles for the C20's, but as far as I know you will be stuck with an 8 lug wheel. Also I do not know if there is a dropped spindle that will accept the '63-'66 C20 lower ball joint. That would be something to check with a spindle manufacturer or seller about.

The one and only C20 that I was involved with in converting to a C10, we changed the entire front suspension, including the crossmember.
That is/was my goal, but the more I learn about it the more I question it. My issue is more or less that of space and neighbors that don't exactly share my enthusiasm for cars and restoration. I have limited space and already have 5 vehicles at my home. With my limited time and lack of knowledgable friends to help with the project I was trying to avoid pulling the engine. Plus, I've pulled many engines and put them back in, but never on a manual. I know very little in that regard. To take on that project would require me to free up space in my garage and move cars to the street which the hoa frowns on. I would likely not be able to complete this is a weekend on my own.

I guess I'll check on the drop spindles and see if any will work the the 63 lower ball joints and also see if I could use a 5 lug. If not, I guess I'll just bite the bullet and do the crossmember swap. The neighbors and HOA will just have to deal with it!😆.

Just out of curiosity, what do you think you could sell/ship me a crossmember for? Ive yet to find one at a local yard (just started today) and car-part doesn't have an option to search for a front suspension crossmember.

I'm totally assuming here, but I bet the 305 mounts would work. The reason I assume that is because I have seen a few guys that did that swap and then swapped a BBC and mounts in. I also talked with another member on here that was able to put BBC mounts on his truck with only minor frame trimming and was using a stock crossmember from a 64 I believe. I have Mary some York my bad assumptions in the past tho...........
PLYONS11 is offline   Reply With Quote