View Single Post
Old 11-26-2020, 11:42 PM   #10
Ptjsk

Re: Performance Lacking in a 383 Build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziegelsteinfaust View Post
Do you by chance a mechanical advance only distributor?

Maybe a bad vacuum canister?
It seems to hold vacuum and moves the timing advances when I place a timing light on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkidmoreGarage View Post
It's not the traditional way, but consider taking the truck to a chassis dyno for tuning. It's the only way to really diagnose the issue in a deliberate way. You need data to know what to change. Could be a long list of possible causes. Could be fuel (need a wideband), could be timing, could be spark, could be the cam timing is off. Could be push rod length, could be airflow, etc.

Good luck!
I would be willing to do that! I'll have to see about giving that a try. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckster View Post
Everything you describe should give you plenty of power. Something's not right, but it's hard to tell what.

I had a guy bring a car to me once for lack of power. It turned out that the throttle cable was hooked up wrong and only opening the throttle 1/3 of the way. Sometimes it's simple things.
Yea, I've checked that out already too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by conoco View Post
I have a 1972 gmc Sierra Grande k2500 which is my daily driver with a 383/ 35" tires and 4.10s/ Eaton rear end and a 4"lift. I had a holley carb in there and for the same reason I felt like I was lacking the punch I should expect in my motor. I recently switched to the Edelbrock AVS2 650 with in the last 2 months and it is like a whole new driving experience. Off the line, on the highway, pulling my trailers, driving up the mountain roads here in Alaska. Just completely different all the way around. I do have a few other upgrades but the new carb has really brought everything to life. I have no favorite between any of the carb manufacturers. They are all fit for purpose. I just happen to find one that worked for me.

*Side Note
I did play with all the different calibration set ups in my carb that edelbrock offers with the tuning kit ( took a significant amount of time but was alot of fun). It took me changing to almost all the different settings. I kept detailed notes of each setting along with changing my timing for all of them to see what worked the best. I had my timing set at 0°, 4,6,8,12 on each different set up, and ran Them all. I finally found the best set up for my truck and all the time spent doing that was well worth it. I was able to have my 16 year old son help with most of it too, so it was a win win. I do have HEI, spark plugs gapped to .045, headers, dual exhaust, performer intake, Changed my thermostat to 190° ( which made a difference believe it or not). If you would like to know everything I did I would be more than happy to share. But for me the carb was what did it.
Good Luck
That's why I was thinking of going to another carburetor. I'm kind of at a loss here. It sure seems like it should have more power to me.

Pat
Ptjsk is offline   Reply With Quote