View Single Post
Old 01-10-2023, 07:40 PM   #805
Just call me Sean

Re: What did you do to your truck today??

So... I'm at the point where I'm going to park it and use the 99 for work temporarily. I worked on it all weekend up to 4 AM Monday morning. Initial test drive wasn't great. The head I used was a bit crusty from sitting, I cleaned it up and sprayed it down with WD40 before I installed it. At 4 AM with no muffler I didn't drive it much especially with the way it was running, pretty sure the valves were sticking and it took quite a bit of cranking to get it to start the first time. I got a couple hours of sleep and figured I would see how it does when I went to the gas station in the morning. It was better, I figured it needed to work through so I took it to work. The further I went the better it got, the temperature was good. Then today, it was still running pretty good but when I got to the gas station it was leaking water. It looked like the heater hose so I figured it tore when I removed it so I cut off the end, put it back on and went to work. At work, I see it's still leaking. I only noticed the leak in the first place because I've been checking the flywheel teeth for damage every time I stop so I wouldn't have to turn the engine by hand. The flywheel is damaged, it's missing at least one tooth from me cranking it with the cylinders full of water. I'm hoping the leak is just the fitting which I've changed before. Then I get home, I've been smelling gas and when I got out to open my gate I hear the gas cap hissing. I take it off and it lets out lots of fumes and if I put the cap back on the fumes immediately build up enough pressure to make the cap hiss again. The exploded part of the muffler is facing the gas tank. The heat from it has melted a part of the plastic skid plate and is heating up the fuel in the gas tank to where it pressurizes the tank.

So in short, I need to change the flywheel, change the muffler, and fix the water leak before I can start using it again.
Just call me Sean is offline   Reply With Quote