View Single Post
Old 10-25-2021, 07:13 PM   #43
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: HG's Plow Truck, '78 GMC K35 Dually

The truck has been working well. It was running really rich just idling around the yard. Turned the idle mix screws in a half turn and it's much better. The new shock for the plow came. Swapping it should have been a piece of cake. Just 2 bolts right? Two bigass bolts with nyloc nuts that have been there for a few decades. Had to cut one off. The other one I should have cut but being as stubborn as I am I kept trying new things for a half hour instead. Eventually it was on with new bolts. I also wanted to tighten up the tension on the springs that pull the top back so it doesn't trip over quite so easy. Found out those nuts were stuck as bad as the shock bolts! But those HAVE to be saved otherwise I have to order replacements because they are special studs for holding the springs. I broke one but found one on the parts plow I scavenged the blade ends from. I also wanted to spay those parts with a little paint to pretty it up. Or at least not have it look so terrible next to all of the other painted parts.

I also wanted to rattle can the passenger side of the truck so it doesn't have the grey line where the stripe was. That turned out to be a small mistake due to the low temps. Lesson of the day: Don't rattle can spray when it's in the 40s outside. It was running with a really light coat. Probably the worst spray job I ever did. I'll let it dry, sand the worst of it out and touch it up. Still looks better than before though. I've included some pics of it after sanding down the stripe and rusty spots so you can see it is far from rust free, but still not terrible for a plow truck. Maybe next year I'll do more rust repair.
Attached Images

hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote