View Single Post
Old 11-26-2021, 04:08 PM   #246
72cs20

Re: Project 1966 K20 adventure rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350TacoZilla View Post
I cant remember here, was there a reason you didn't want to go to the 73+ style for off the shelf options? I have no issues with calling a local place for a custom pack but usually cheaper to go with off the shelf and makes it easier down the rd (or on the rd) for replacements.
One reason is that the suspension on these trucks work very well when in good condition. I knew I was going to completely go through everything, so it was easier to keep it stock. The stock type springs are still readily available.

I did look at updating to the 73+ front springs, but it looks like there would need to be modifications made to the bell housing crossmember. Or it would need to be removed. And the brake plumbing for the right front wheel runs along that crossmember. And honestly, at this point in the project, I'm not too motivated to make any big changes.

It's a good question though. I've always considered this an evolving project. The future may see an engine/transmission change and an opportunity to re-visit the front suspension.

So I did call around locally about spring work. Using my springs, it would cost about one thousand bucks. That's for re-arching and adding leaves. I said no thanks.

Fortunately, I kept the old front springs. I dis-assembled them and picked the secondary main leaf and the added leaf that installed years ago. The secondary main leaf has a military wrap at the front which I cut off. I cleaned and painted them. Then I removed the springs from the truck and dis-assembled them. Then I inserted the leaves from the old springs into the new and now had my own custom spring pack! They came out well. In the pics you can see the difference between the stock pack and the modified one

Now the front springs have a slight positive arch and provided 2 1/2 inches of lift. I think it looks just right.
Attached Images