View Single Post
Old 06-10-2008, 01:51 AM   #11
70LonghornCST

Re: 1970 Chevy Longhorn Restoration progress

Thanks to all of you who have posted. Here are more pictures. The progress shown in this set shows that I am in the process of changing the color from Gold to White. I removed the gas tank and painted it white behind it. I guess I could have just covered the tank and painted around it, but it would bother me knowing there was gold paint behind it. I also prepped and primed the entire inside of the cab. The other pictures show that I have welded shut the gas doors on the bed, and did the major body work where needed. I also stripped the roof of the cab down to metal and etch primed it.

As many of these trucks have, this one had the radio slot hacked out for an aftermarket radio. Since beginning on this truck, I have gotten a little better with my welder. I managed to cut the missing parts from a donor truck at a wrecking yard. I cut pieces only the size of the missing chunks from the radio...kind of like puzzle pieces if you will. I then tacked them in, working slowly around, and cooling it off with a wet rag to prevent warping. And Walla! A repaired radio slot. That was one of my proudest moments in working on this truck.

I also began to reassemble the front clip, and to put together the air conditioning unit. I managed to find a gorgeous POA valve with the date code/part number still vividly visible, and the unit cleaned up nice. I also found an NOS actuator for the firewall. I am trying to go for as much original parts as I can. Light lenses, sheet metal, and anything else I can get my hands on. I have spent so much money on parts already for this truck; it doesn't make sense to cut corners now.

The next batch of tasks are: mount bucket seats; cut slots for cargo light; remove wood bed; finish all minor work on the body and block sand.

I will post more pics as I make progress.

-Richard
Attached Images

1970 Chevy Longhorn
  • Bucket Seats
  • Shoulder Belts
  • Front Tow Hooks
  • Factory Air
  • Factory Speedwarning, Tach & Vaccum
  • Factory Tilt
  • CST Package
  • AM/FM Radio
  • Bumper Guards