View Single Post
Old 12-17-2021, 12:36 PM   #732
Vic1947

Re: 57 Chevy Wagon - Californa Dreamin'

So, a couple of weeks have passed during which I finished up the do-over on the EFI. The Terminator X Max controller just barely fit into the space where the other controllers sat in the past. I not only had to build stand-offs to position it further away from the firewall, but also had to machine some long hold downs to attach it. Couldn't get my fingers into the available space to start regular nuts. But after all that, it's in and wired up. I also spent some time revising the fuel lines. None of the lines fit after I modified them for the dual quads. The upside is that I repositioned the regulator and fuel pressure gauge for better access. I tested it for leaks and to my surprise, I didn't have a single one. Usually, there's at least one fitting that requires a bit more oomph to seal it up.

I had a local Holley expert, Andrew Borodin, over to the house last week to help me with the initial startup calibration. He also gave me a wiring diagram for the IAC kick and AC shutdown relays. The software will temporarily boost the idle when the AC is turned on and shut the AC off at a specified throttle position (like 75% WOT). He spent about an hour going over the fuel and spark tables explaining them and making some tweaks. My short-term memory is so shot that I don't remember a lot, but I was impressed with his knowledge. He'll be back when I'm ready to fire the engine the first time with this new setup. Said it will take another hour to tune the engine for best performance. It's turned cold so I'm planning to wait for the next warm day.

Meanwhile, I have a new project to keep me occupied. I decided to punch louvers in the side panels I made for the inner fenderwells. I'm thinking ahead to the summer and doing all that I can to help lower the under-hood temps. I did some research on commercially available dies and they're pretty proud of them. While online, I ran across a video showing a homemade set of dies and I'm going to give it a try. I only need to punch a couple of dozen louvers, so I don't need tool steel. I'll show you the results - good or bad.
Attached Images

Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote