View Single Post
Old 03-18-2020, 11:56 PM   #52
cornerstone

Re: Uncle Loyd's 72' C-10

When it came to buying my fuel tank, I just bought the non efi tank, since I wasn't sure what the fuel requirements would be with the direct injection motor. The factory set up uses a PWM (Pulse Width Module) that determines the demand for fuel and delivers the correct psi to the second fuel pump thats mechanically driven located at the back of the intake manifold. From that pump the pressures are incredibly high, like 2300 psi. This first in line electric fuel pump turned out to not be critical for providing exact pressures to the mechanical pump. Board member Mitch Vannatta who owns Swaptime, (check out his Youtube channel!) helped me in many regards and this was one of the areas he gave me answers. He ran his own personal Tahoe with a standard 58 psi corvette style regulator with a basic walbro pump controlled by a relay. Ignition on provides power to the pump that constantly runs.

These pictures are how I handled getting the power wires into the fuel tank. I bought a stainless bolt and drilled a hole through the middle of it to run the wires through. I simply drilled a hole it the cover plate, ran the bolt through, used fuel safe teflon washers and tightened it up with a stainless nut. I plan to use a fuel safe epoxy to seal the wiring into the bolt center. I have to also give thanks to Vic1947 for assisting me with answering questions about how he did the fuel system in his previous build, "Crusty Rusty Leaky Squeaky 67" which totally raised the bar on build quality as far as I'm concerned. You may have noticed if you followed his build, I hung my fuel pump from the cover plate the same way he did.
Attached Images

1972 C10, "Loyd", LWB to SWB, 5.3, L83/6L80e, 4:11 Tru Trac, Air Ride, VA, DD, 20" Coys, 4 wheel disc, A quick LS swap turned into a 6 year frame off resto-mod.
cornerstone is offline   Reply With Quote