View Single Post
Old 09-14-2006, 03:24 PM   #1
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Windshield Removal Tip

I decided to remove the windshield from the '70 today so I tried something that I've been thinking about since I removed the one from the '67. I cut the rubber on the one in the '67 and although it wasn't bad it was still a pain in the rear. I thought at that time "if a guy had enough hands to hold the rubber out from the flange around the top & sides, on the inside of the windshield, he could probably just push the windshield out". Well, that’s true. Here is how I did it.

I cut a piece of old garden hose 55" long and inserted it between the windshield rubber and the flange on the inside of the cab (at the top). I then cut two pieces of old 1/2" diameter electrical cord about 18" long and inserted them between the rubber and flange on each side of the windshield. When this was finished I put my hands about a quarter of the way in from each end at the top and pushed out. That windshield popped out so easy it scared me. I thought it was going to fall out on the floor....

You can pull the rubber down from the top with your fingers after you get it started but I used a brake adjuster tool to hold the rubber out on the sides to insert the electrical cord. I didn't use any lube of any kind but it would probably make things move easier. ( If it moved any easier it would have fallen out on the floor )
Attached Images

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-