Thread: brakes?
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2022, 09:29 AM   #12
Honest Bob

Re: brakes?

With JB7 brakes you are at the end of the line as far as an easy/cheap brake upgrade.

1/2 tons and blazers with jb5 I think can upgrade to jb6 pretty easily and probably even to jb7 as well I think if going from 6 lug to 8 lug isnt a big deal.

The 1 ton JB8 hydroboost brakes are super nice however...

A hydroboost swap requires quite a bit of planning and parts but can be done.

The front would require a different caliper mounting bracket which I dont think will fit on anything but a dana 60 front axle on a 4x4. I'm not sure about the front on a 2wd but I would assume its also more than just a caliper/bracket/rotor (different hub?).

The rear 3.5" rear drums I believe would be a bolt on affair if starting from a 3/4 ton with a FF 14bolt with the 2.5" drums, just replace the whole backing plate/drum assembly. You would need to find a used set of those brakes from a single rear wheel 1 ton preferably of the same ebrake style that you already have. The backing plates use different parking brake apparatus depending on if you have the a 73-80 or 81-91. Last I looked the one ton 3.5" 14 bolt ff backing plates are NOT available new. Trying to drive away with the parking break engaged on properly adjusted 3.5" drums feels like the truck is chained to a house.
Honest Bob is offline   Reply With Quote