View Single Post
Old 05-05-2012, 06:12 PM   #8
oldspowered67C10

Re: Rear Locker Question

Ive been installing alot of selectable lockers lately, mostly in the front axles of our off-road used service trucks, all the guys seem to love them. Been using the eaton(e-locker?) one, haven't had a failure yet and Ive put one in a 14,000 lb. f-450 service truck with a diesel that goes to some pretty remote sites. All the traction of a locker off-road and all the smoothness of a open diff on the street, another option to think about.

Regarding the tru-trac, I still wouldn't recommend one for the rear axle if off-road traction is your goal. There are some advantages to a tru-trac but most of those advantages are better used on the street. Whats cool about a tru-trac is that it only works under a load so when you go around a tight corner, as long as you're not under a load, it'll act like a open diff. Thats why road race guys like them, mid corner, when the car is neither accelerating of decelerating it wont try to steer the car like a posi might. What sucks about that is that like I said, if one tire lifts off the ground, no matter how much power you put to that axle, it cant create the load that the tru-trac needs to operate.

The first selectable locker I installed in a front axle was in a truck that had a tru-trac in the rear axle. Driver said that although the tru-trac worked great on solid surfaces, as soon as he got on to really loose ground it wasnt so good and he had to use the brakes to make it work.

Truthfully,Ive never thought of putting a tru-trac in the front axle but the more I think about it, the more sense it makes for a truck thats used alot on the street with occasional mild off-roading.

Anyway, I stand by my initial recommendation for the rear axle, lockers work the best off road but can be a bit annoying on the street. The tru-trac is the best on the street but under some off-road conditions, it doesn't work. And the posi, while its not the best anywhere, its also not the worst anywhere.
oldspowered67C10 is offline   Reply With Quote