View Single Post
Old 03-24-2021, 11:11 AM   #1193
1976gmc20

Re: post up your camping pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseldawg142 View Post
know the area well gmc.
was born in Dawson Crick, lived in PG too.
also lived in 100 Mile House, Eagle Creek area, a few miles south of Williams lake.
love driving the Cassiar, we quadded into the Cassiar mines from Jade City one yr, was an awesome ride, stayed at Boya and Watson lakes a few times as well.
Salmon Glacier on the way to Stewart is pretty awe inspiring too
been saving money for another trip up there in the near future.
any of these these signs look familiar?
Oh, yes ... I remember Boya Lake quite well

Those signs are probably new since the late 1970s.

We stayed at a private CG at McBride to get showers, and then next night at McLure(?) Lake along the Yellowhead but it has a "native" name now. I was pulling a travel trailer along with a huge load in the pickup bed so it was pretty slow, and the Cassiar was still under construction so lots of stop/wait and rough road.

So we ended up stopping by the first Bell-Irving bridge. It was brand new then and only a couple of planks laid down over the primered steel. Pulled down into a steep "parking lot" and ran the rear wheels of the pickup up on some big old timbers lying around to somewhat level the trailer.

I remember they had a little ball field with a couple benches labeled "Dease Stadium"

And then Boya Lake. Didn't see much of the lake itself because it was about dark when we got there. Took an evening walk, though Coming out of there we got separated from the other couple in their car and didn't catch up to them until almost the Alcan Hwy. I thought they were behind us and kept slowing down while they were trying to catch up!

Coming back south a couple years later just me and my dog I followed mostly the same route. The Cassiar highway was a lot better by then. I picked up a lot of hitchhikers. It was a different world back then.
1958 Chevy C-60; 1965 GMC C-50; 1965 Chevy C-10; 1971 Chevy K-10; 1973 Chevy K-20; 1976 GMC C-20; 1977 Chevy C-10 Suburban; 1980 Chevy K-10; 1989 Chevy K1500; 1991 GMC V1500 Suburban; 2016 Chevy K2500 HD

Other vehicles: 1988 Jeep XJ; 2011 Toyota 4Runner
1976gmc20 is offline   Reply With Quote