View Single Post
Old 10-02-2023, 02:41 PM   #111
CAMAROBOY68SS

Re: 1968 C10 Project "The Twin"

Well getting started on the next upgrade for the pickup. Picked up this 68 327 a year ago from a buddy. He bought a 68 Camaro and pulled this motor to do a LS swap. He didnt even really look at the motor closely. It had a rattle in it, but I recognized the head markings straight away as 186 heads so made a deal on the motor.

When getting it home, pulled the heads off in the trailer as I could not wait to see what valves were it it. Heads were indeed 186's and 69 casting dates. Pulled the first head and was ready to see the common 1.94s but hit the jackpot and found factory 2.02s. The heads were off a race car at some points as they have been heavily ported and polished, had screw in studs and guide plates added at some point. Also had stainless valves already too. I had my machinist check them over and to see if they were 1.94s converted to 2.02s. There is some runner differences that Chevy did when finished the heads originally between the 2 and found that these were indeed factory 2.02 heads.

Also found the rattle pulling the heads and tearing the rest of the block down. One flat cam lobe, one rocker had backed off on a different cylinder than the flat lobe. Also found the oil galley plugs on for the lifters and cam had been replaced and one had fallen out so one bank we getting little oil pressure.

Block had been bored 40 over and based on the signs during tear down I think the motor was a fresh rebuild by someone and cam went flat within 500 miles. Cylinders still had hone marks, bearings looked like new with very little wear. No clue when that galley plug got shoved out.

Had the block hot tanked and the crank polished, heads cleaned up and now about to start putting the long block together. I'll be swapping over all the intake and front accessory stuff off the 350 once its out.

Along with the swap to the 327, I have also decided to make the change from the muncie 4 speed to a TKX 5 speed. With the last 2 summers now of driving it, I have found I am doing more out of town stuff and could really use the overdrive, plus my grandpa would like the 4 speed back for his big block he is putting together. So gonna be a busy winter doing the swap, but truck will be ready for long hauling next spring.
Attached Images

C10 Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=833278

The "Others"
1933 Ford Pickup (Camaro in disguise)
2017 Camaro SS

Life long Chevy guy
CAMAROBOY68SS is offline   Reply With Quote