Thread: The Brown Turd
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2020, 09:38 PM   #91
Thebrownturd

Re: The Brown Turd

Winter 19: I wanted to use the original axle but it had drums what were pretty beat inside and also the small shafts and joints. I tore it apart cleaned and painted. The ball joints were absolutely shot. That and the pass wheel bearing was probably my where my vibration was coming from. It was driving me so crazy that I logged vibration frequencies with my phone and had determined that the frequency matched that of a revolution of the axle shaft. I just assumed rear end and had not considered the front. At the time, it had made sense because that is where the vibration "sounded" like it was coming from. oops.

The axle I picked up ended up having the shafts chewed up near the inner seals and would in no way be able to create seal ever again. I had to but new axle shafts and the drive line shop put in some new u joints. After many more cold nights in an uninstalled loafing shed, in the dark, with a headlamp, I finally got an acceptable contact pattern. I used doner axle knuckles, backing plates, and spindles on the drum axle housing since it was in a little better shape.

Spring Break 20: After a few months I finally just put it all back together and got off the stands. I made new 3/16" hard brake line and new 1/4" line up to passenger frame, installed new master, prop valve, braided steel lines to wheels, rotors, studs, calipers. No leaks so far! New steering box since I had lots of play in the steering wheel earlier even after new tie rods and drag links 2 years ago.

This was easily my most costly project yet. At least its all important stuff.

Last edited by Thebrownturd; 03-27-2020 at 09:59 PM.
Thebrownturd is offline   Reply With Quote