View Single Post
Old 08-16-2012, 05:58 PM   #8
slikside

Re: Torque wrenches and caliper bolts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portmod7 View Post
Not doubting you, or your manual, and maybe I'm thinking of different caliper bolts than you, but 120ft-lb. seems WAY excessive. The caliper bolts are 7/16" if we're on the same page, and a 7/16" bolt (depending on grade and type) shouldn't ever be over 80ft-lbs. (60ft-lbs. lubricated) unless they are some special alloy (which I doubt). I would bet they are Grade 5 or so, and would torque to even less.

I just installed new Wilwood calipers on my truck, and I believe the instructions say 35ft-lbs. or so (I don't ever actually torque mine). The instructions also specifically stated to NOT lubricate the threads.

You should be able to pick them up on the Help rack at you local parts store, and I know CarQuest (others too I'm sure) usually stocks them boxed up in the back somewhere too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwmech View Post
There is now way that 120 is correct. A grade 8, 7/16 bolt doesn't even take that much torque before breaking , let alone a grade 5 caliper bolt. Lucky you didn't break the thing off. As stated above maybe 35-40. Just snug it down
I agree with all of the above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee H View Post
My shop manual says 35 ft lbs. I use anti-seize and I use a torque wrench only so I don't over tighten them. You can get new bolts at any DYI store.
Don't have my manual available, but this sounds much more like it, IIRC. I just did this very rebuild on my truck as well. And I don't own a torque wrench. I think for engine rebuilding and the like, they are essential. But most other stuff, not so much IMO.