View Single Post
Old 10-07-2018, 10:09 PM   #16
jdl71

Re: Project 1966 K20 adventure rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72cs20 View Post
I'm really trying to keep this project as simple as possible and still meet my goals. I need this truck trip ready by May, so I'm going to mainly focus on mechanicals, electrical system and the interior of the cab. Not going to worry too much about cosmetics, although I will give the back half of the frame a cleaning and some rustoleum flat black.

Out goes the Eaton and rear suspension.
Attachment 1827381
Attachment 1827382

I'm going with the 73-87 rear suspension to eliminate the nearly 6 inch tall lift blocks. And it's less expensive than rebuilding the stock setup. This should also give the proper spring pad width for the 14 bolt.

Right now is the mockup phase to get the leaf springs at the correct height and angle. Then I'll set the axle in place to see how the pinion angle looks. I'm trying to keep pinion angle of the 14 bolt the same as the Eaton angle of zero degrees with the spring pad angle of about 6-7 degrees forward.

Here is the rear hanger installed where it will remain.
Attachment 1827383

Here is the front hanger clamped in place. There is a good bit of up or down adjustability here to get the angle of the spring set to where I think it should be.
Attachment 1827384

Here is the whole assembly mocked up. The spring angle is 11 degrees and I'm looking for 6-7, so the front hanger needs to come up a bit. I still need to measure the spring pad angle to pinion angle on the 14 bolt to be sure of how much.
Attachment 1827385

One thing I will say is that every fastener thus far has been fighting me all the way. The dis-assembly so far has been challenging to say the least. The complete opposite from the last truck. But I'm winning!
Are those off the shelf 52" springs?

64 C10

66 K20
jdl71 is offline   Reply With Quote