View Single Post
Old 03-14-2020, 02:08 PM   #19
toolboxchev

Re: Stock alternator to 12 SI alternator

Quote:
Originally Posted by studeclunker View Post
I looked that one over before posting here. I don't understand the relevance? Must be missing something?
Smoke under the dash means something burned. It would be wise to strip the harness of the black tape and look for burned wires. That discoloring you see in the thread posted by Andy means overheating, overamperage of the wiring system.

Sometimes you can get away with it. Other times it leads to problems down the road as in my system. I have had to replace the Heater Harness, Heater Switch, Ignition Switch over 3 times in the last couple years.

I am sick of it, my electrical buddy informs me if you feed the system more power an electrical motor will demand that from the system. As in Heater on High, unregulated load. Another words, you will pull more amps through the system than the wiring will handle. Especially if you put in a higher amp alternator. If you put in a bigger guage wire in combo with the higher amp alternator this compounds the matter. Stock gauge wiring acts as a restrictor (i.e. smaller water pipe) to only allow a certain amperage to flow through it.

This specifically applies in my situation due to having a externally regulated alternator. The regulator allows it to push out more amps than an internally regulated unit IF I am correct.

I carry a fire extinguisher in my cab just in case.

Last edited by toolboxchev; 03-14-2020 at 02:15 PM.
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote